March 18, 2011
We would like to express our deepest sympathy for the victims of this earthquake.Considering the situation caused by the earthquake, NIED will take the countermeasures as shown below and we would like to ask for your understanding and cooperation for this matter.
President Dr. Yoshimitsu Okada
Providing data on Seismic networks operated by NIED
Observation data and analyzed results by NIED are provided as shown below. Regarding the data obtained by Hi-sensitivity seismic network(Hi-net), they are transferred directly to Japan Meteorological Agency(JMA) and universities, contributing to Earthquake Early Warning System and it’s been used as basic data for identifying the hypocenter of the aftershocks etc. Some of our observation stations located mainly in the quake-hit area have been damaged, however, we are making every effort for recovery.
Temporary information sharing
NIED has sent out information from the website of Earthquake Research Institute,University of Tokyo
(http://outreach.eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp/2011/03/nied_tohoku/Blank) on March 14, around 16:30 as temporary countermeasures against NIED system failure. We greatly appreciate their help.
Future activities of NIED regarding the East Japan Earthquake Disaster
- We not only make every effort to recover damaged seismic observation stations but also strengthen our seismic networks as we learned lessons from damaged observation stations and information system at NIED.
- We will continue prompt data sharing and also improve precision of earthquake evaluation.
- We will unite the research field of science, engineering and social science and cooperate with all related disaster research institutions in order to improve research and development contributing to disaster mitigation.
- NIED has established the website entitled "ALL311: Cooperative Information Platform for the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku EarthquakeBlank(only in Japanese)" in order to gather, make, and send out useful information not only on recovery and reconstruction of the disaster but also on countermeasures taken by damaged area by communicating with various institutions and individuals of all over Japan. Specifically, by utilizing the "e-community platform", the system developed by NIED, we send out various types of maps, geo-spatial information, National Seismic Hazard Maps for Japan, and landslide disaster information etc. We also support evacuation and acceptance for shelter of victims.
Circumstances of NIED
Setting up of the Headquarters for Disaster Countermeasures
On March 11, right after the earthquake, NIED has set up the Headquarters for Disaster Countermeasures directed by President, Dr. Yoshimitsu Okada, based on the stipulated regulation.
Damages to NIED/ NIED facilities
According to NIED Strong- motion seismic networks (K-NET), large tremors were continued about 5 minutes at Tsukuba headquarters with maximum acceleration of more than 300 gal (equal to JMA seismic intensity 6-).
- Human injuries: Although books have spread on the floor and apparatus have fallen, there was no injuries on NIED employees since all furniture was fixed to the wall and ceiling and the Earthquake Early Warning was issued.
- Damages to buildings: Damages to some buildings have been reported by emergency inspection but details are still under investigation.
- Damages to information system: Because of power failure and server troubles, NIED website and e-mail system became temporarily unavailable. We tried our best and they have recovered completely on March 15, at around 19:40. No damages were reported from Snow and Ice Research Center in Nagaoka, its Shinjo branch, and Hyogo Earthquake Engineering Research Center in Miki.
Transportation to NIED
Please be aware that some of the transportation are still not available due to planned power failure and lack of fuel.
- Tsukuba Express
In terms of Tsukuba Express, some adjustment in the schedule may occur caused by planned power failure. Please check TX website for further details.
- JR Joban line
In terms of JR Joban line, some adjustment in the schedule may occur as well. Please check JR East’s website for further details.
JR train operation information service
- Highway express bus
Joban highway is now available to Tsukuba. Please check their website for further details.
JR bus Kanto http://www.jrbuskanto.co.jp/bus_route_e/Blank
Kanto-tetsudo http://www.kantetsu.co.jp/Blank(only in Japanese)
Acceptance of institute touring
NIED will have to refuse accepting institute touring for the time being. We will announce when it becomes available through our website.
- We have cancelled "Disaster Prevention Research Forum The 9th Symposium" which was scheduled on March 12.
- We have cancelled "The 3rd International Symposium on Modeling of Accumulated Snow" which was scheduled on March 15.
- Please contact person in charge regarding other individual symposium which is not mentioned here.