One (1) contract researcher (Researcher status) in Network Center for Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcano, NIED
As a member of “Research and development for semi-real-time spatio-temporal forecasting of seismic activity and associated ground motion considering incompleteness of seismic data” and “Advanced Earthquake and Tsunami Forecasting Technologies Project”, the following duties should be conducted.
- Research and development on spatio-temporal prediction of seismic activity and associated ground motions immediately after a large earthquake using earthquake catalog and ground-motion data.
- Research and development on ground-motion prediction using information science.
- Research and development related to the above.
- Qualification Requirements
- Applicants must hold a Ph. D. (including those who will obtain a Ph. D. before commencing the position) or have the equivalent level of academic knowledge and enough experience to conduct the research duties described above.
- Applicants are required to have experience in research using seismic data or statistical research on massive data related to earth science and other fields.
- Applicants are required to be strongly motivated in research and development contributing to earthquake and tsunami disaster mitigation.
- Employment Location
(NIED) 3-1, Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken, 305-0006, Japan.
- Term of Employment
The successful candidate will be employed from April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023. (*negotiable)
The term of employment may be extended each fiscal year, based on budget, needs of work engaged in, and in line with performance.
*The period of first two months is probationary.
- Salary and Working Conditions
Salary: More than 504,700 yen per month.
*To be determined at the time of employment based on internal regulations (annual salary system).
*Including fixed overtime allowance: 15 hours equivalent.
In the case of 504,700 yen per month, the fixed overtime allowance is 60,060 yen
*The overtime allowance beyond 15 hours per month will be paid separately.
- Application Materials (can be written in English or Japanese)
- Curriculum vitae (format as per attachment 1)
- Summary of main research (format as per attachment 2)
- Achievements list (format as per attachment 3)
- Statement of purpose for future research (format as per attachment 4)
- Letter of recommendation (for self-recommendation, provide written opinion, any format acceptable)
- As reference materials, main thesis/dissertation/articles (up to three, copies acceptable)
*Please download the designated required forms from our website.
*Please address the letter of recommendation to: President, NIED
*Application materials must be sent by registered mail (or equivalent) to the address below, indicating “application documents for researcher (Network Center for Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcano) enclosed” in RED on the envelope.
*Application materials can be sent by e-mail to address below, indicating “application documents for researcher (Network Center for Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcano)” in the title.
*All personal information submitted will only be used for selection procedures after which it will be destroyed in a responsible manner, except for the personal information of the successful candidate.
- Application Deadline
Applications must arrive no later than November 30, 2021
- Interview Period
Early December 2021
- Employment Commencement Date:
April 1, 2022 (negotiable)
- Researcher in Charge
Dr. Hisahiko Kubo
Network Center for Earthquake, Tsunami and Volcano, NIED
- Mailing Address and General Enquiries:
Mr. Akitoshi SAKATA
General Affairs Division, General Affairs Department
National Research and Development Agency, National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED)
3-1, Tennodai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken, 305-0006, Japan.
E-mail: koubo[AT]bosai.go.jp (Please change [AT] to @)