Summary of the Forum
Date: September 8, 2006, Friday
Location: Tokyo Conference Center, Shinagawa
1．The content of the forum
Countries in Asia share common challenges in terms of environmental and energy issues and the need for measures to deal withand natural disasters and infectious diseases. To ensure sustainable growth and stability throughout the Asian region, it is essential that Asian countries cooperate and work together proactively from the perspective of science and technology.
With this in mind, the Forum will identify issues to be addressed and the measures needed in order to achieve the following aims:
- solving social issues shared in common throughout Asia through the application of science and technology
- improving the level of science and technology in Asia, in order to support further development in the region in the future
2．Session 3: Natural Disasters, Society, Development, Science & Technology
Theme: Establishing a partnership in Asia for natural disasters, society, development and science and technology
Is Session 3, we will consider natural disasters in terms of three directions: "Recognition of Natural disasters", "Natural disasters and Society" and "Natural disasters and Science technology" as the main focus in Asia. We will clarify the common issue of advanced and developing countries. The subject of session 3 is to search for the best method to resolve the issue, and to construct a genuine partnership in Asia as a member of Asia, by focusing on Science technology and working towards the study of particular methods.
The main objectives of Session 3 at the forum
- Report of the activities in Asia for the reduction in natural disasters.
（First and Second year of the forum） ※This year is the second year of the forum
We will discuss the present situation and problems in Asia from the following three directions, and will promote mutual understanding and clarify the issues.
"Recognition of Natural disasters": Nature, Environment, Culture and Historical view points
"Natural disasters and Society": Politics, Economics, Support and Internationak Cooperative view points
"Natural disasters and Science technology": Science technology, Information, Medical technology and Educational view points
- Proposals for a framework, for the reduction of natural disasters in Asia.
(Third year of the forum）
We will discuss and aim to presnt a framework, and specific methods, for the reduction in natural disasters through Science technology.
3．Chairperson and Speakers at Session 3
- Chairperson: Tsuneo Katayama（Tokyo Denki University, Special Visiting Researcher, Japan）
- Hiroyuki Kamda（Professor Emeritus, Kyoto University, National Research Institutedisaster Visiting Researcher, Japan）
- Tsakhia Elbegdorj (two times Prime Minister of Mongolia, Chairman of Mongolia's Democratic Party, Mongolia)
- Gao Yu Cheng （Section Chief of Department of disaster relief, Ministry of Civil Affairs of the People's Republic of China, China）
- Tissa Vitarana (Minister Minister of Science & Technology, Sri Lanka)
- Idwan Suhardi (Deputy to the Minister for Utilization and Dissemination of S&T, Indonesia)
- Bayani Fernando (Chairman Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA), Philippine)